Asian style tofu buddha bowl
Ingredients (Serves 2):
For the tofu:
1 block firm tofu (400g)
3 tbsp agave nectar
1 fresh chilli
4 cloves garlic
1.5 tbsp tomato puree
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp paprika
2 tbsp sesame oil
For the rest of the bowl:
1 cup dried brown rice
1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
1 cup spinach
1. Start by pressing the tofu by wrapping it in a thick towel and then putting something heavy on top like a book. Let it press for at least 20 minutes. Also preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. While the tofu presses, put the rice in a sauce pan then add 2 cups of boiling water. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer for 35 minutes with the lid on. Add salt to your liking.
3. Prepare the veg by roughly chopping the broccoli and the mushrooms. Add the broccoli to a roasting dish and coat with 1 tbsp sesame oil, then roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
4. Prepare the tofu sauce by finely chopping the chilli and the garlic. Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a small sauce pan then fry the chilli (reserve a little bit for serving) and garlic on a medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Next add the soy sauce, agave nectar, tomato puree and paprika and heat gently for a further 5 minutes. Add small splashes of water to loosen the sauce. Once that’s cooked take it off the heat and stir in the juice from the lime half.
5. Chop the tofu into small cubes. Heat 1 tbsp sesame oil in a large frying pan, then add the tofu and fry on a medium to high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently so that it goes nice and crispy.
6. As the tofu cooks, fry the mushrooms in another frying pan for about 6 minutes in 1/2 tbsp sesame oil. Add splashes of water if they are looking dry.
7. Once the tofu is cooked, add the sauce and stir through to make sure all of the tofu is evenly coated and the sauce is heated through.
8. Finally add the rice, tofu, broccoli and mushrooms to a bowl, along with the spinach, avocado and a sprinkling of fresh chilli on top.