Potato and leek soup with crispy smoked tofu bits
Ingredients (Serves 3):
225g smoked tofu
400g large potatoes
2 vegetable stock cubes
1 tbsp vegan margarine
- Start by heating the oven to 200C. Pierce the potatoes about 5 or 6 times each with a sharp knife. Bake for about 1 hour or until completely cooked through.
- About 15 minutes before the potatoes are done, thinly slice the leeks and add them to a large saucepan with the margarine. Fry on a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Take the potatoes out of the oven and roughly chop them. They will be steaming hot so use a fork to hold them in place while you chop.
- Add the potatoes (including the skins) to the pan with the leeks and fry for a few more minutes.
- Dissolve the stock cubes into a litre of boiling water then add to the pan. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, press the water out of the smoked tofu (if needed) then chop into very small cubes (about 1/2cm). Fry these in a frying pan with some salt and a little bit of oil for 7-8 minutes or until they go nice and crispy.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup until it is smooth and creamy. Serve up in bowls and sprinkle the crispy tofu pieces on top.